Core feature of educational system is the emphasis on student’s skills and wishes. After graduating from primary school, pupils are offered various directions for studying. By using this approach, Swiss schools create all conditions for development of potential of each student and skills.
Stage of studying
Phase of obligatory education in Switzerland lasts from 9 to 11 years. By achieving 4-6 years old, the studying starts and finishes in 15 years of student. Pupils can enrol in private or local schools. Studying in public schools is free, and there is no uniforms.
- Primary education
This educational stage is presented by kindergarten and the first learning cycle. In kindergarten children study basic knowledge and manners. So, pupils obtain social skills in the playing format. Skills in reading and math is achieved by participating in games, music and art activities.
In the age of 6 years old pupils transfer to primary school.
- Secondary education
Secondary education consists of 2 phases: lower and upper. The duration of lower secondary education is 3-4 years and falls on the student age of 11-12. The emphasis in studying is made on mother language and the second language, natural sciences. So, pupils obtain knowledge in math, biology, chemistry, physics, geography. Humanitarian disciplines are also not neglected.
In the end of each academic year students pass tests to demonstrate received knowledge.
- Upper secondary education
Studying in Swiss high school is not mandatory. Passing the stage of lower secondary education, student has a choice of:
- Vocational education – is optimal for local students, there are organized internships in big companies. Duration of studying varies from 2 to 4 years.
- Baccalaureate school – in addition to subjects of lower secondary school law and economics are studied. The studying lasts from 3 to 6 years. Variation in duration is stipulated by canton. By the end of studying students pass test and write baccalaureate essay. Graduates recive certificate Matura.
- Upper secondary school.
On this stage of studying preparation is conducted to successfully build a career in education, social work and healthcare. Duration of studying is 3 years. Finishing study, student passes 6 subject exams. With this students can enrol in PET colleges.
Tertiary is the next stage of the higher secondary education. Annually, the Swiss universities are listed in the ranking of TOP-100 educational institutions in the world.
Educational programs of secondary education – short description
- British system – programs GCSE, A-level, it is choice for students, planning to enrol in the universities of Great Britain;
- American program - it is choice for students, planning to enrol in the universities of USA;
- Anglo-American program;
- German – Abitur course is studied in the German-speaking part of Switzerland, certificate of passing this program is a guarantee of enrolling in universities of Germany.
- International Baccallaureat – course certificate opens doors of the best educational institutions in Europe.
How to apply in Swiss schools?
The applicant must provide the documents:
- Passport copy
- Report card for the last 2 academic years
- International language certificates
- Recommendations from teachers of English and mathematics
- School forms
- Motivation letter – sometimes required
- Interview by Skype.
Moreover, it is compulsory for foreign students to pass tests in English and Mathematics.